1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DevBlog - Trees Rework

Discussion in 'Infestation The NewZ' started by Hitliz, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Hitliz

Hitliz Executive Member
    Staff Member Executive Member Donator Member

[​IMG]

Dear Players,

It's been a while again since my last developer blog and I definitively think about doing this more often. First of all the Halloween events are still in progress and I've seen A LOT of players that love the event and I am very happy it turned out this way. This is definitely we plan on continuing so expect even more, better and bigger events for Christmas and further on!

Now, I don't want to make this any longer than needed so let's jump straight into it: the tree rework.

WHY?

Because as of this moment the trees in our game look like complete garbage, they are unoptimized, causing issues and we want to step up with the overall look of New Z.

THE GOAL

• Optimize / fix them. (Lower poly count and fix some other technical issues) - So that they no longer cause potential issues.
    • Improve the texture quality. Higher the resolution making the tree look 10 times better. (literally)
    • Fix the model so that they don't longer look like "block trees".

Trees are just a start. We plan on improving the rocks, terrain textures, other nature, buildings and more in the near future with the overall aim to bring New Z to the next level. Please understand that these changes have minimal impact on player's performance. We wouldn't do this if it would negatively affect players performance and therefor we are also doing a lot of testing before any of this gets released.

THE RESULT

After this rework the trees look VERY much better, they are fixed, improved and optimized so it's basically a win-win situation. This rework contributes in our overall goal to give New Z a real refreshing own "New Z" look where we start with the most common / obvious and noticeable things, in this case the trees.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is just for the current pine tree models. We have 4-5 other types of trees in the game where the same improvements have to be made. I used the pine trees as an example as these are the most common in all our maps.

Let me know in the comments what you think!

Best Regards,

Sven

Continue reading...